For more than 135 years, Bar Harbor Bank & Trust has contributed to the economic health and vitality of the communities we serve, and we are proud that our employees are involved in the communities in which we live and work. Each year, Bar Harbor Bank & Trust employees volunteer countless hours of their time on community projects and serve on nonprofit boards. In addition to these efforts, we have provided charitable donations to more than 450 community organizations across the Northern New England states of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
Our Charitable Mission
Bar Harbor Bank & Trust’s charitable mission is to improve the economic prosperity and health of our communities through our commitment to impactful philanthropy and volunteer service engagement.
We recognize the importance of partnering with nonprofit organizations so our collective effort enhances local projects and programs to achieve maximum impact. We understand that nonprofits provide crucial services for those in need and that they require a broad base of support from individuals, corporations, civic organizations, and foundations. We believe that we can make the most impact through numerous smaller gifts rather than a few large ones.
Our volunteer services and charitable donations primarily benefit programs and services for those who reside in the following regions:
- Maine: Hancock, Kennebec, Knox, Penobscot, Sagadahoc, Somerset, Washington
- New Hampshire: Grafton, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Sullivan
- Vermont: Orange, Rutland, Windsor
What We Support
Nonprofits should propose support that will benefit a distinctive project or initiative, rather than support for general operations. Requests should be clearly defined, stating how support will make measurable positive impact. The amount requested should be within the scope of the project or the number of people who will benefit.
Our approach to community giving favors proposals that:
- Advance economic growth and community vitality
- Establish measurable goals based on sustainable collaborations
- Focus on education and workforce development initiatives
- Support families at risk with a strategy linked to a path of self-sufficiency
Bar Harbor Bank & Trust will not fund nonprofits that discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We do not generally provide financial support for:
- Activities with limited access for the general public
- Annual appeals
- Government agencies
- Individual/adult teams and associations
- Lobbying groups
- Private foundations
- Political activities
- Religious and labor organizations
- Third-party solicitations
- Underwriting for travel expenses
- Programs operating outside our geographic service area
Nonprofits who have received a grant from Bar Harbor Bank & Trust are not eligible for additional support within the same year.
How to Apply
Bar Harbor Bank & Trust utilizes a web portal for charitable requests and event sponsorships. You can access the portal by clicking the link below. We require a two month notice to consider requests.
- Requests must be submitted online through the portal.
- We will not accept paper or email requests.
- Applicants must be a nonprofit organization.
- Please submit well in advance (at least two months) of an event or project initiative.
If we can assist in answering any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-853-7100 x10986.
Funding priority is provided based on the following:
- Have an established customer relationship with Bar Harbor Bank & Trust.
- Positively impacts low- and moderate-income populations.
- Pertain to education and workforce development initiatives or programs.
- Have had employee(s) engaged through volunteering or board service in the recent years.
- Please complete the entire form with as much detail as possible.
- Attach supporting documentation, such as cover letter, sponsorship form, event brochure, and/or promotional package.
- Attach the organization’s IRS Form W-9 if you have not received support within the past three years.
- Following the completion of the request, a confirmation email from email@example.com will be sent to you.
- Please allow a minimum of 60 days from the time of the request for donations and sponsorships to be considered.